Saturday, June 22, 2013

To the Boulevard


My junior picker and I checked out the Boulevard Flea Market/Swap-n-Shop this morning. I had never been but had always wanted to go and check it out. I am working on some outdoor pieces, bird feeders, yard art and such and I thought that maybe it would be a good venue for selling them. It was not quite what I expected. I was expecting a little more flea, but it was a little more swap meet. It was kind of like a bunch of people having little garage sales. Most stuff was not priced and when I would ask, things were overpriced, closer to retail than swap meet. Plus these are items that were in need of cleaning. I don't mind getting my hands dirty for a great treasure but if I'm paying retail prices, it had better be clean.

The highlight of the morning is when mini-me found some Legos that she wanted. She asked the price and the lady said $9. Mini-me's reply? "Would you take $8?" I about fell over, I guess she has been paying attention!

It was a good recon trip, but I don't think it's a good fit for selling and not sure about shopping either. On a cooler day, it may have been a fun treasure hunt. However, this morning, with 76% humidity, it was a lot of over-priced junk. Of course, the nature of the swap meet is that it changes every week, so we may try again at the end of summer.

Have you been to the Boulevard Swap & Shop? What did you think? Tell us about your experience in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment